Popular Posts

Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Survey

It's been a nice week here in Boston.
I did some Christmas shopping
I  went to a Holiday party.
I made a great vegitarian dish last night off of Pinterest
http://teaandlimpets-food.blogspot.com/2011/02/chana-masala-chick-pea-curry.html
 Chana Masala (Chickpea curry)

Ingredients
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 fresh hot pepper, minced (optional)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. garam masala or curry powder or both
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1 cup of dried chickpeas, cooked (or 2 cans of chickpeas, drained)
1 can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. amchoor powder (optional)
1 tsbp. butter
cayenne pepper or hot chili powder to taste
salt to taste

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, saute the onion in the olive oil until soft and golden brown.  Add the garlic and hot pepper, if using, and stir, cooking until soft and fragrant.  Add the sugar and spices and stir to coat the onions, keeping the ingredients moving so that they cook but do not stick too much to the pan.  Add the chickpeas and tomatoes, stirring to combine, and scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the saucepan.  If using amchoor, add it now.  Allow the mixture to come to a boil, then lower the heat and gently simmer to bring the flavors together for 10 minutes, adding a bit of water if the curry becomes thicker than you desire.  Stir in the butter before serving.


 It was great. I added a little more of some of the spices as desired. Filling and healthy. I served it with rice, but I'm sure any type of grain would be good.


I fought a cold and won!

I only did minimal exercise in attempt to survive to this weekend filled with fun things. I didn't want to be sick anymore so I rested and drank tea and hung around the house waaaay more than I usually would. Finally feeling better. No temp, minimal sniffles, and no headache. Winning!

Today I am trying to finish up my Christmas shopping and plan for next week when life gets a little busy.
I submitted all of my grad school applications 2 days ago so I'm feeling good and relaxed for now.

Since I haven't been running or doing too much of anything exciting I figured i would entertain you with a Christmas Survey. I stole this from Julie at Peanut Butter Fingers (http://www.pbfingers.com/)


5 Questions: Holiday Style
  • Eggnog or hot chocolate?
    • Hot Chocolate!
  • Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
    • Wrap them.
  • Colored lights on tree/house or white?
    • White lights on tree and lots of ornaments.
  • Do you hang mistletoe?
    • No, but we should. Where does one get mistletoe?
  • When do you hang your decorations up?
    • A week or two after Thanksgiving. Usually around Dec 6th
  • What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
    • Scalloped potatoes and Christmas breakfast!
  • Favorite holiday memory as a child?
    • Sleeping with my twin sister on the floor of my brothers room EVERY YEAR for Christmas eve until we were about 13
  • What is on your Christmas wish list?
    • Safe travels for everyone.
  • Do you open a gifts on Christmas Eve?
    • We used to open one present every Christmas Eve. Now we have a party so we tend to leave all of the present opening until Christmas morning
  • How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
    • Lots of lights and as many ornaments as we can fit. It’s always beautiful.
  • Snow? Love it or dread it?
    • Love it! I’m from Vermont after all.
  • Real tree or fake tree?
    • REAL!!!
  • Do you remember your favorite gift?
    • I have a bathrobe from a few years ago that I love and wear as soon as it starts getting cold in the mornings. Also my Garmin from Greg last year.
  • What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you?
    • Spending time with friends and family.
  • What is your favorite holiday dessert?
    • Just one? Ummm I suppose sugar cookies, but I also like peppermint bark, and anything with chocolate. I’m a fat kid at heart.
  • What is your favorite tradition?
    • Our Christmas eve party.
  • What tops your tree?
    • At home in VT its an angel. In Boston it’s a gold star.
  • Do you prefer giving or receiving?
    • Giving. 100%
  • What is your favorite Christmas song?
    • Straight No Chaser – 12 days
  • Candy canes, yuck or yum?
    • Yumm
  • Favorite Christmas movie?
    • El.
  • What do you leave for Santa?
    •  Cookies and milk for Santa. Baby carrots for the reindeer.
  • Do you have a Christmas morning tradition?
    •  We do stockings first, and then go around in somewhat of a circle as everyone unwraps a gift. We continue until everyone is done. We then have a big breakfast and hang out the house in our PJs most of the day. It’s glorious.
  • Do you prefer to shop on-line or at the mall?
    • I don’t mind the mall, but I don’t have enough time. So online.
  • Christmas letter or Christmas card?
    • Letter. I like knowing what family and friends are up too

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment