Popular Posts

Monday, March 19, 2012

Expect the unexpected.

So much to say!

I think bullet form is the best way to attack this post.

Lets back it up!


 I taught spin and ran 4.5 miles. It was supposed to be 5 but I ran out of time and had to scurry home. The run felt pretty good and I have added some new music so it’s really helped.
Carrie Underwood – good girl
Christina Aguilera – show me how you burlesque
Train – drive by
Just to name a few…

I also got a massage and went to family dinner on Thursday. The massage was a deal I found online for 39 dollars for 60 min. It was wonderful. My body had been really tired and sore all week so having someone work on my back, shoulders, and calves was just what I needed.

We got home late from family dinner and I quickly packed before bed.


Friday morning I woke up early to train 2 clients before heading to the airport at 8:15am. It was then off to D.C!! Our flight was easy and carefree, however I heard that the flight from Boston to D.C that left an hour after ours ended up with a significant delay. So strange. Once we arrived, we took a cab to our hotel, dropped off our bags, and then headed out the door to the Rock N Roll USA expo! The expo was about 2 miles from our hotel so we decided to walk it and explore a little. The expo was good, but nothing wonderful. The highlight might have been walking towards the compression leggings booth and having the guy take one look at Matt and mutter something like “he will be an easy sell” to his co-worker. Needless to say, we didn’t buy anything from him.

We headed back to the hotel after we explored the expo for an hour or so. It was raining by then so we took a cab. It was around 5 by the time we made it to our hotel, so we ordered pizza, and relaxed in the hotel room knowing we had an early morning on the horizon.


Matt and I woke up around 6:15 knowing that we wanted to head out the door around 6:45. I was supposed to do 17 miles Saturday so I convinced Matt to run to the start line with me to get a few added miles in. We jogged the 2 miles to the race start and got there with plenty of time to spare. I was supposed to be in corral 8 but we ended up in corral 9 I think…either way, we crossed the start line about 11 minutes after the first wave.

Matt and I didn’t run together so when we crossed the start we said good buy and good luck with plans of how we were going to meet up at the end. I stayed behind Matt for a little while before the crowd made it really hard to stay near him.

We saw Greg around mile 3 which was a great surprise and I needed to get rid of a long sleeve shirt so I was happy I could give it to him and not just ditch it on the side of the road.

I ended up needing to pee (TMI?) pretty badly around mile 4.5 so for the first time ever in a race I pulled off to a porta potty and waited….and waited….and waited. 

Lesson number 1 : look at map prior to race so you know where these porta potties are in an attempt to cut down on waiting time. In all honestly after a few minutes I thought about finding a tree but there was nothing close by. 

After my turn was over I scooted right back into the race and continued on my way, annoyed that I had lost precious time, but figuring I could make some of it up if I pushed.

Then, around mile 8 life got interesting. There was a man ahead of me who was running and looked fine, until suddenly he didn’t. He was sorta of wobbling back and forth and I wasn’t sure what was happening. I knew he was too big for me to catch if he fell so I helped him over to the side and had hit sit/lay down. I hung out with him, trying not to burst into tears until the med crew got there. Not fun! I think he was ok, but I’m still not sure what happened to him. I think he was just over heated? I was off to the side of the road for a good 15 minutes I think. I was pretty freaked out and it took me a while to get mentally back into the race. I finally finished with my slowest half time yet, 2:30 but given my unexpected stops I’ll take it.
Matt and I found each other and then tried to jog the 2 miles back home. By this time, we were both pretty tired, hot, and sore so we managed to run/walk home adding on another mile of running total. This brought both of us up to 16 miles for the day.

After we got to the hotel, Greg met us in the lobby and we headed up to the room to shower and change before grabbing food at the West Wing Café near our hotel. It usually takes me a little while to get my appetite back after a race so I ate half a sandwich and some fruit.

After lunch we proceeded to walk all over D.C! I would say we easily walked 6-7 miles. We saw the white house, the monument, the war memorials, Lincoln, and China Town, it was a busy day! Matt and I were pretty exhausted by the end, but Greg had gone exploring while we were racing so he knew where to go and he also got in quite a workout.

I’ll leave this post here for now, and fill you in on our race night dinner, drinks, and our Sunday and Monday adventures tomorrow!
I'm off to find a race to redeem my crummy time and attitude towards racing at the momemnt.

Happy Monday everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment