Popular Posts

Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankful

Hi everyone,
 
I know I promised a post about celiac and my gluten free life as I’ve learned more these past 3 weeks, but today I wanted to touch on something much more personal and dear to my heart.

I had a lot of friends over the weekend run the Philly marathon, or half marathon. I read their facebook updates, or blog posts for months in anticipation of Sunday when they would run their hearts out and see what they were made of. I spent all morning yesterday tracking my friends running the marathon and waiting for facebook updates. I was completely absorbed in their races, and they experiences. 

Later in the day I headed out for a run. I was (and still am) sick with a cold but I knew I needed to get out and run, especially after taking Saturday off. While running my legs felt great and my breathing was easy. I finished up 6 miles in 51 minutes and felt amazing. 

During my run I just kept thinking of all of the runners I knew and the races I have done. I thought about the highs from getting a PR, especially in my case, a PR that came from nowhere, to the lows when your race is just plain hard. I thought about the mental aspect of running, and then how running really does open up doors to new friendships and experiences.

I am thankful to be a runner. I am thankful I can run, and most days I can do so easily. I know that not everyone has this opportunity, and not everyone wants to be a runner. But through running I have learned so much about myself. I am stronger than I ever imagined, and I have created long lasting friendships and relationships with people who I am proud to call running friends.

I am so proud of all of my friends who have recently ran races, or who are planning to run one in the future. No matter how the race or run goes, getting out there is something to be immensely proud of.





1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Running really is something special, and I feel so blessed that it's a part of my life. I hope you're feeling better and getting more miles in!!! And I'm hopeful we'll be running another DC race together next spring!

    ReplyDelete